Tuesday, February 22, 2005

I won't read Canseco's book

First of all, I was a fan of the Bash Brothers in Oakland. They were exciting to watch no doubt. Not as exciting as "Billy Ball" and the days of Rickey Henderson by the bay, but all those hard hit long balls were fun. Now its tainted. Jose Canseco has a tell all book that supposively states he and Mark McGuire were using Steroids together during their time in Oakland. Is his book true? Are two peoples recount of anything that occurred years ago ever the same? Especially if one is say slightly influenced to embellish his memory a little because of a book deal and perhaps to compensate for a career that while very good, didn't accomplish what it could have and that his inability to land back in the bigs the last couple years robbed him of a little needed cashola? Hmmm...

Canseco can't be relied upon to remember key points. I mean, do you remember back in 1992 when the ball bounced off his head and still went over the wall. It wasn't like Jose was flying high in the air and nudged it over, this was full on blow to the head. What he doesn't say in his book is that this knocked a key screw loose in the thinkin' parts. Luckily it didn't kill his giant ego, or the part of the brain that says "Jose you need money bro". I should know all this because I was his assistant part time personal fantasy league trainer for at least a month or two. I'll write this in my book coming out...uhh..well I'm low on funds, but ya know, it could happen.

By the way..in speculation terms: Given Canseco was juicin' up, what about that one girl he was seeing. Uhh..Mandonna? Have you seen the guns on this girl? It makes sense now.

Did Canseco and McGuire use steroids? It seems likely. However, is it Jose's place to speak regarding other players? I say no. If he would have done so in the interest of protecting baseball and done so prior to now, I'd say sure. But to wait until his book deal is coming, then I say its pretty weak and questionable.

It seems appropriate to end this sports mumbling with a reference to the Dan Patrick show. I am pulling from memory here, so I may not be 100% accurate with the wording, but I love the promo they are running right now:
Canseco- I didn't use, I didn't use, I'm writing a book, ok I used. Pete Rose- I didn't bet, I didn't bet, I'm writing a book, ok I bet.


(note: I did post a portion of this mumble today on a great sports blog, The Sports Frog. My posting is here.)

No comments: