Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Final Football Polls - Out of Order?

All the college football bowl games are done and the national polls have come out. That means that the best football teams of the season have all done their talking on the field for twelve games or more, and the experts are left to evaluate how they did and who did it best.

Naturally one of the fun things to do at this point is evaluate how the experts have done with their evaluations. Prior to reviewing the polls, I must offer my typical disclaimer. As a Utah alum and close follower of the Utah program, I am definitely biased in their direction. However, in this case, I need to note that I'm also an Oklahoma Sooner fan and I have two older brothers who are OU alumni. As of this moment, my computer has only two fight songs saved on it's hard drive, "Utah Man am I" and "Boomer Sooner". Also, the top polls rate 25 teams, but at this moment, I'll focus on the top 5. On with the polls.....

The AP
(The Media Poll or aka....The "We shouldn't be biased, but we like OU's fight song better than Utah's and we were too tired to change our rankings after OU no-showed in the Orange bowl" Poll)


1. USC
2. Auburn
3. OU
4. Utah
5. Texas

ESPN/USA Today
(The coaches poll or aka...The "We are too busy and have too many biases and conference allegiances to really do this right, plus the barbeque weenies we ate in Austin were really good last time" Poll.)


1. USC
2. Auburn
3. OU
4. Texas
5. Utah


As I stated, I'm biased....but I don't see how Utah isn't ranked # 3. To argue that Utah should be # 3 (or higher), when they already sit at #4 or #5, seems to be splitting hairs to the casual fan. I agree, so let’s split those hairs.

I love the Sooners offensive talent and I expected them to beat the Trojans, but they looked awful Tuesday night. Part of it was USC being absolutely great. However, other issues like OU having 4 turnovers in the first half, OU having key players fall down repeatedly, and Jason White making several bad decisions and throws based on fear and panic, speak volumes about the Sooners. The discrepancy between USC and Oklahoma at least on that night was huge. This did not look like the #1 and #3 ranked teams squaring off. Third ranked teams don't lose 55-19 in a game that wasn't really that close. Great teams don't fail to put cleats on the WRs and RBs that are actually suited for the field they were on. How come USC never seemed to fall down? Jason White is a former Heisman winner, a great talent, and a true gun slinger, but I don't think you can ignore his bowl performances the last 2 years. In the biggest games of his team's seasons and his life thus far he has produced 2 touchdowns (one in garbage time) and 5 interceptions. Now I don't think its fair to flush the Sooners terrific season over one bad game. Of course, I'm not saying 'flush it' so much as I'm saying rank them 4th or lower.

On the other side of this argument is the University of Utah. It is true, Utah didn't play OU's schedule, but to make that statement without looking at what they did makes no sense. Utah had no close games, no bad games, and they thumped Texas A&M to the point that Utah's 17 year old true freshman QB got to play in the 4th quarter. As Texas A&M was their only common opponent, it is fair to at least compare performances in that game. OU struggled with A&M and only won the game when A&M's final pass fell incomplete with two seconds left in the game. Do I think Utah could beat OU straight up? Based solely on the comparative information that we have this season, as opposed the football history of the two schools, I would have to think it would be a good game and one the Utes could win.

Okay, get the coaches and media on the phone, lets have a re-vote.

But first, I should comment on Texas. I don't get how they are ranked #4 in the media poll. Sure Texas is a very good team, but it should be noted that they trailed in each of their last six games. The game before that six game streak they were tied with Missouri before winning, and the one before that Texas was shutout by Oklahoma. I'm sorry, but Top 5 teams don't get shutout by anyone, ever. I give credit to Texas for rallying to win so many of their games. I give so much credit I'd like to vote them the 5th or 6th best team in the country.

I'll leave it to the people who followed Auburn closer than I to argue they should be number one. After watching their bowl game and USC's I'd say the voters have that one right. I'm also not going to argue for a playoff system yet. If and when a football playoff system arrives, it will be interesting, but I doubt it will be the perfect solution that all the BCS critics say it is. I'd expect there will still be many teams that complain or criticize over that arrangement as well. The latest theory I've heard is a "Plus One" system, where all the bowls are completed and then there is one more game between the top teams to determine the championship. I am not sure that is worth anything. Who would play in it this year? USC and Auburn? Then you'd have Utah people very upset about not even having a chance.

No comments: