Friday, January 28, 2005

Who do I want to win the Superbowl you ask?

Since I'm not a fan of either team, picking a Superbowl favorite isn't easy.

I was hoping for Payton Manning and Dante Culpepper to make the Superbowl so we'd have guns blazing and something to watch besides the commercials. But the brutal winter weather and solid defenses won out again.

I have no issue with the Patriots. They are a machine and they are perhaps one of the best big game teams ever. They seem to play better when there is more pressure. And forget about giving Belichick too much time to prepare for an opposing QB. I do like the fact that they seem to exemplify the team concept. I think they are like a big bowl of Vanilla ice cream. You know its going to be good, but you probably won't be surprised or really excited either.

It is somewhat hard for me to root for Philly since I grew up a Cowboys fan, and remember the rivalry that started for me during the Ron Jaworski, Wilbert Montgomery, and Harold Carmichael era. Still, I think Andy Reid is a good coach, and I like McNabb. I think McNabb does have enough flexibility that the Patriots won't be able to completely neutralize him. I can picture in my mind a scenario in which the game will be very close and hinge on one turnover either way. So, I'm rooting for McNabb and the underdog Eagles. ***


*** Disclaimer: I retract the support for the Eagles in the event Terrible Owens plays. Does he make them better? Sure. But as they've proven throughout the playoffs, they can win games without him. His attitude and thirst for the spotlight in what is supposed to be a team game is beyond irritating. Of course, I'm one of those people who say lame things like, "I'd rather lose with the right guys, than win with the wrong ones". While I never root for a player to get injured, I can say I was not disappointed that Terrible got hurt, nor could I ignore that there was some kind of justice that occurred since he was hurt at the scene of one of his biggest egocentric displays ever (Parading around on the Star in Texas Stadium years ago).

No comments: